BMLSc. Medical Laboratory Science
Programme Duration : 5 years
The main objectives of BMLS honours degreeprogrammes in Medical Laboratory Sciences are to:
- i. offercourses and related studies to undergraduate students as may be approved by theSenate of the University and Medical Laboratory Science Council of Nigerialeading to the award of the degree of Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science(BMLS);
- ii. instilin students intellectual and satisfying learning experience that will enablethem fill the manpower needs of the country in Medical Laboratory Science;
- iii. providestudents with a broad and balanced foundation of medical laboratory knowledgeand practical skills; performing effectively in clinical diagnostic services,academics and quality assurance; and function independently or in collaborationwith other members of the health team in the care of individuals and groups atall levels of health care;
- iv. developin students, the ability to apply their medical laboratory knowledge and skillsto the solution of theoretical and practical problems in laboratory medicine;
- v. empower graduates of Medical Laboratory Scienceswith skills that will enable them engage in income yielding ventures.
The Medical Laboratory Sciences (BMLS) departmentis projected to:
- a) Offeroutstanding academic and professional knowledge that will produce qualityMedical Laboratory Scientists capable of working in any environment.
- b) Producestudents with expertise to produce biological and diagnostic reagents,fabricate or repair new equipment or even modify existing technologies andrefine old techniques or synthesize new diagnostic procedures.
- c) Producemedical laboratory scientists with ample management skills to lead, employothers, train and partake in general practice of laboratory sciences.
Candidate seeking enrolment into the BMLS programme should possess the following minimum entry qualification(s):
a. UTME Admission
Candidates should possess at least five credits at ordinary level West African Senior School Certificate (WASSCE) or its equivalent (NECO, NABTEC, SSCE, GCE), maximum at two sittings, to qualify for consideration for admission. The subject includes: Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Mathematics and English Languages. The students must also have performed well in joint matriculation board examination (UME/JAMB).
b. Direct Entry Admission
The candidate should possess, in addition to the requirements in “a” above, one of the following:
- i. Pass in general certificate of education or at advanced level in Physics, Chemistry and Biology (or Zoology) in addition to (a) above.
- ii. Graduates of first degree in related sciences or its equivalent in addition to (a) above (remedial result is not accepted). First degree from approved university, OND or HND certificate.
- iii. Candidates who are holders of Medical Laboratory Technicians certificate from the Medical Laboratory Science Council of Nigeria and who have relevant qualifications as specified in 1 above may be considered for direct entry.
- iv. Transfer students. Candidates can transfer from other department in the college of Medicine and Health Sciences with CGPA of not less 3.50 without carryover courses.
Note: No differed entry requirement
Inter and Intra University transfer
The department has the prerogative for discretionary transfer. The factors to be considered are;
- a) Senior Secondary School Certificate with credit in Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics and English Language.
- b) Relevant pass in the joint Matriculation Examination (UTME)
- c) A good cumulative grade point (CGPA) not less than 3.5 with no outstanding courses still outstanding.
- d) Candidates from other university should have taken and passed relevant courses from BMLS in their respective Universities in addition to the above requirement (a-c)
- e) Candidate who has been asked to withdraw from the other faculty and/or university shall not be considered for admission to the department
- f) Transfer candidate have to satisfy the interview panel of the department and shall be limited in number to not more than 5% of the admission quota.
- g) Any candidate wishing to change to the department from a relevant department/ faculty must have spent at least  academic session in the university.
NOTES: Students are required to register with the Medical Laboratory Sciences Council of Nigeria as a student member from 300 Level. Any student found unqualified shall withdraw from the programme forthwith.
200 Level - First Semester
|1||PYS 203||Introduction to Cardiovascular and Respiratory Physiology||3||200||First||Learn More|
|2||PYS 205||Introduction to Laboratory Physiology||3||200||First||Learn More|
|3||ANA 201||Gross Anatomy of Upper/Lower extremities||3||200||First||Learn More|
|4||MLS 201||Introduction to Medical Laboratory Science||3||200||First||Learn More|
|5||ANA 203||Systemic and Functional Anatomy||3||200||First||Learn More|
|6||BMS 201||Medical Biochemistry I||3||200||First||Learn More|
|7||PYS 201||Introduction to Physiology||3||200||First||Learn More|
200 Level - Second Semester
|1||ANA 206||General and Systemic Embryology||0||200||Second||Learn More|
|2||ANA 208||Regional Anatomy||2||200||Second||Learn More|
|3||ANA 203||Gross Anatomy of the Thorax, Abdomen, Pelvis and Perineum||3||200||Second||Learn More|
|4||ANA 202||Histology of Basic Tissues||2||200||Second||Learn More|
|5||BMS 202||Medical Biochemistry II||3||200||Second||Learn More|
|6||BMS 204||Introduction to Bio-statistics||2||200||Second||Learn More|
|7||MLS 290||Students’ Industrial Work Experience||3||200||Second||Learn More|
|8||PYS 202||Principle of Cell Physiology||2||200||Second||Learn More|
300 Level - First Semester
|1||MLS 309||Basic Medical Parasitology||3||300||First||Learn More|
|2||MLS 301||Basic Clinical Chemistry||2||300||First||Learn More|
|3||MLS 303||Basic Microbiology||3||300||First||Learn More|
|4||PHC 301||Basic Pharmacology and Toxicology||3||300||First||Learn More|
|5||MLS 307||Practical Exercise I||2||300||First||Learn More|
|6||PYS 301||Endocrine and Reproductive Physiology||3||300||First||Learn More|
|7||MLS 305||Basic Immunology||3||300||First||Learn More|
300 Level - Second Semester
|1||BMS 304||Chemistry and Metabolism of Nucleic Acids||3||300||Second||Learn More|
|2||MLS 308||Fundamental of Blood Group Serology||3||300||Second||Learn More|
|3||MLS 302||Basic Haematology||3||300||Second||Learn More|
|4||BMS 302||Chemistry and Metabolism of Amino Acids and Proteins||3||300||Second||Learn More|
|5||MLS 390||Students’ Industrial Work Experience||3||300||Second||Learn More|
|6||MLS 304||Basic Histopathology||3||300||Second||Learn More|
|7||MLS 306||Laboratory posting I||3||300||Second||Learn More|
400 Level - First Semester
|1||MLS 409||Biomedical Engineering||3||400||First||Learn More|
|2||MLS 405||Laboratory Instrumentation and Techniques||4||400||First||Learn More|
|3||MLS 413||Professional Ethics in Medical Laboratory Sciences||2||400||First||Learn More|
|4||MLS 411||Blood Group Serology||3||400||First||Learn More|
|5||MLS 407||Medical Entomology||2||400||First||Learn More|
|6||MLS 403||Medical Laboratory Histopathology I||4||400||First||Learn More|
|7||MLS 401||Laboratory Management and Function||3||400||First||Learn More|
400 Level - Second Semester
|1||MLS 408||Clinical Chemistry I||4||400||Second||Learn More|
|2||MLS 404||Research Methodology||2||400||Second||Learn More|
|3||MLS 414||Virology||2||400||Second||Learn More|
|4||MLS 402||Medical Laboratory Microbiology I||3||400||Second||Learn More|
|5||MLS 412||Chemical Pathology||3||400||Second||Learn More|
|6||MLS 406||Laboratory posting II||3||400||Second||Learn More|
|7||MLS 410||Haematology||2||400||Second||Learn More|
500 Level - First Semester
|1||MLS 507||Clinical Chemistry II||3||500||First||Learn More|
|2||MLS 525||Serology and Blood Transfusion Science||3||500||First||Learn More|
|3||MLS 501||General Laboratory Practice||3||500||First||Learn More|
|4||MLS 513||Medical Laboratory Microbiology III||3||500||First||Learn More|
|5||MLS 529||Medical Mycology||3||500||First||Learn More|
|6||MLS 509||Medical Laboratory Histopathology II||3||500||First||Learn More|
|7||MLS 533||Research Project I||3||500||First||Learn More|
|8||MLS 519||Clinical Renal, Liver, and Neurochemistry||3||500||First||Learn More|
|9||MLS 517||Systemic Histopathology||3||500||First||Learn More|
|10||MLS 503||Practice Exercise II||3||500||First||Learn More|
|11||MLS 505||Seminar||1||500||First||Learn More|
|12||MLS 515||Advanced Histopathology||3||500||First||Learn More|
|13||MLS 521||Nutrition and Clinical Vitaminology/Trace Elements||3||500||First||Learn More|
|14||MLS 523||Blood Group System Compatibility Test||3||500||First||Learn More|
|15||MLS 511||Medical Laboratory Haematology II||3||500||First||Learn More|
|16||MLS 527||Advance Medical Parasitology and Epidemiology||3||500||First||Learn More|
500 Level - Second Semester
|1||MLS 524||Advance Haematological Techniques||3||500||Second||Learn More|
|2||MLS 528||Pharmaceutical Microbiology and Microbial Genetics||3||500||Second||Learn More|
|3||MLS 510||Medical Laboratory Haematology III||3||500||Second||Learn More|
|4||MLS 514||Histopathology Techniques/Embalmment||3||500||Second||Learn More|
|5||MLS 526||Medical Virology||3||500||Second||Learn More|
|6||MLS 512||Medical Laboratory Microbiology III||3||500||Second||Learn More|
|7||MLS 516||Museum Techniques||3||500||Second||Learn More|
|8||MLS 506||Clinical Chemistry III||3||500||Second||Learn More|
|9||MLS 522||Coagulation and Fibrinolysis||3||500||Second||Learn More|
|10||MLS 534||Research Project II||3||500||Second||Learn More|
|11||MLS 520||Clinical and Reproductive Endocrinology||3||500||Second||Learn More|
|12||MLS 502||Laboratory posting III||3||500||Second||Learn More|
|13||MLS 518||Drug Monitoring, Toxicology and Inborn Error of Metabolism||3||500||Second||Learn More|
|14||MLS 508||Medical Laboratory Histopathology III||3||500||Second||Learn More|